Marker is at the intersection of Crosswicks Street (County Route 528) and East Burlington Street, on the left when traveling west on Crosswicks Street
Inscription: One of the earliest free schools of New Jersey established 1852 by Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
Marker on the Barton Schoolhouse
Inscription: In this building, from 1852 until 1854, Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross, taught school. Here she established one of the first free public schools of New Jersey in 1854. The building was restored by the school children of the state and dedicated on June 11, 1921.
Photos courtesy of Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey